|Photo credit to ifood.tv|
1 8 oz. package tempeh (available in many major grocery and natural food stores)
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup water
½ tsp. cayenne pepper
½ tsp. garlic powder
dash chili powder
Plus your choice of toasted sliced bread, hamburger roll, wrap, etc.
Plus your choice of condiments.* I recommend:
ripe avocado, sliced
cheddar cheese, sliced
tender greens (I like baby spinach)
oven-roasted tomatoes from that pesto quinoa recipe
any other thing you fancy
1. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. To prepare the tempeh: cut into fish-stick-sized slices, cutting diagonally for maximum surface area. (I got about 18 slices out of my package.)
3. Create a marinade by mixing soy sauce, water, and spices in a medium baking dish. Add tempeh slices, coating with marinade and arranging so each slice is equally submerged in the dish.
4. Bake uncovered for 8 minutes.
5. Drain excess marinade and serve slices on your choice of toasted bread with whatever condiments float your boat.
6. Store extra tempeh in fridge for future sammiches.
* The manfriend and I did a taste test this evening, and the winning combo was toasted sprouted bread with the marinated tempeh, avocado, a bit of cheddar, roasted tomatoes and pesto. A lot of garnish, but it really worked—cool avocado, hot spices, sweet tomatoes, savory pesto, sharp cheese. Nom.