Tuesday, July 5, 2011

PSA for Pale Gals

If you've met me, you know I'm about as pasty and cancer-prone as a person can get without actually crossing over into albinohood. I'm pale and peppered with the level of frecklage most people manage to ditch around age twelve, everyone but me and Minnie Driver. The underside of my forearms are blue. I've got light-colored eyes, which are meant to be a sign of low pigmentation, and if it weren't dyed, you'd be able to see that half my hair's already gone white, even though I'm thirty-two. I'm pale, yo.

Also if you'd ever met me, you'd know I'm a snot-bag about covert advertising. I hate being advertised to, especially sneakily. So it is with great hypocrisy and enthusiasm that I'd like to plug a couple products for my cave-fish-esque, pigmentally challenged brethren and sisterthresnthen.

First, Garnier Nutritioniste Moisture Rescue Lightweight UV Lotion. I used to be a devotee of Oil of Olay Complete, another facial moisturizer with SPF. I used it faithfully for at least ten years—I figured if I was doomed to burn and never tan, I'd take the hint and turn my curse into a preventative war against wrinkles—but finally had to admit that in the summer, Olay Complete is just too damn greasy. I'd tried a squirt of a similar Garnier product while visiting my mom last Christmas and was impressed by how lightweight it was, yet moisturizing even in the moisture-sucking New England winter. Well it does just as good a job at preventing sunburn, too.

Another oldie but goodie is Lubriderm's Daily Moisture Lotion with SPF 15. And actually, I use the CVS knock-off, which works just as well. I take long walks, and it's as effective for me as the same strength sunblock, without the greeeaziness that makes me long for a shower. Not as light and un-greazy as regular Lubriderm, but a very happy compromise. I went for a ninety-minute walk just now in the sizzling July sun, and I'm pinkness-free. It inspired me to write this post, so that's got to be worth something.

So give those a shot, my oily, pasty sisters. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

2 comments:

  1. Target is $15.00 richer because of this post. Thanks a million, from one oily pale girl to another. :)

    ReplyDelete