Sunday, November 27, 2011

Six Sentence Sunday #14

Greetings once more, my sixy beasts! Something a bit different this week, from what I've been calling "the weird-ass work-in-progress." Not entirely sure what genre the thing even is. It's got a romance (a strange one) and explicit sex, but it's not romance or erotica… Anyhow, it's weird. Enjoy!

Amanda and I are fraternal twins, and our eggs were as different as scrambled and Fabergé. Amanda is perky, fair, pink-cheeked, with irises like gems cut out of the pure blue sky, whereas I’m thin and dark, with what my mother calls “gypsy eyes”, probably to try to make me feel mysterious or interesting. Hangover eyes, a bit squinty, their edges the color of a ripe bruise.

I was a deferring pregnancy, a wispy shadow hiding behind Amanda’s robust fetus that my parents didn’t even realize was a second daughter until nearly the third trimester. A uterine wallflower, that was me. Amanda burst forth screaming and vibrant, and I slipped quietly into the world behind her, never one to want a fuss made.


Thanks for swinging by, everyone! Now head here to check out all the other Six Sentence Sunday excerpts this week.

33 comments:

  1. Some great characterizations already set up to intrigue us. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. Great imagery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great voice in this. "a uterine wallflower" oh my! I totally LOLed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marvelous as ever, darling. "Hangover eyes" is very vivid -- is that new? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the language! As always, extremely well written. Interesting tone--not sure what to expect...

    ReplyDelete
  6. loved that last line. what an interesting take on Fraternal twins

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, wow. That was amazing. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great snippet, Cara! I can't wait to see what other snippets you share from this "weird-ass work in progress". LOL Doesn't sound weird to me at all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great description, love the way you describe differences between them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. Just amazingly eloquent words. Wallflower since conception. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It might be weird, but it's intriguing and I already get the sense of the sisters from her description of their entrance into the world. Well done six, Meg! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the egg distinction, cleaver, and wierd or not, got me hooked

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anything about twins intrigue me since I could have had them, but didn't. Love that you wrote this from their POV. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great phrases! Love "uterine wallflower!" Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been itching to read from this. I love the speaker and her very reserved attitude. I can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your heroine already! Very nice. LOVE "uterine wallflower" Just says it all, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have a gift for descriptive language. Sounds like an intriguing story. Wonderful six!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved this...very intense and emotional. Love this phrase: our eggs were as different as scrambled and Fabergé.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sets the tone perfectly: "..our eggs were as different as scrambled and Fabergé." I hope you figure out whatever it is and get writing on it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like the descriptions of the differences between the two. Fab snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is fantastic. The descriptions are so vivid I can see them--and that's rare when it comes to describing people for me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh man...another one I can't WAIT to read! Great six!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really loved the descriptions and the narrative voice.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice--but didn't the different sperm have any role?

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love her and feel for her. Great character. Great six--such evocative imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Okay, I LOVE this. The imagery and the descriptions are AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for stopping by, everyone! Your comments are always appreciated. I'm at that scary, insecure, and seemingly endless semi-final stretch stage with this book (about 75% done with the initial draft). Because of all your kind enthusiasm today, I'll go into this next week excited to get cracking on making this sucker fit for public consumption!

    xoxo, Meg

    ReplyDelete
  28. The details play well off each other. I really enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete